Monday, February 28, 2011

What Are You Hiding?

I just added my dad to my chat list.
How weird is that???
You know, the first thought that ran through my mind when I added him was "oh no! He's gunna see all my status messages!" then the next thought was "oh wait. I have nothing to hide!"
Can you say that?
Would you be able to show your parents all your gmail statuses? How about your Facebook status? How about your emails? Texts?
Would you be able to show your parents?

If your answer is no...then I think you have some serious thinking to do.
If you wouldn't be able to show those things, that means you're hiding it. Why? Probably because you're thinking they won't approve.
So if they wouldn't approve why would you be saying those things in the first place???
It's disrespectful and disobedient to your parents.
If you can't let your parents see even your status on gmail then I would say you likely aren't responsible to have that account.
Seriously. This may all sound super lame and stupid. But i'm complete sincere about this...
Can you show your parents your online life?
I hope your answer is yes, I really do.

When I was 12 I used to go online and play virtual reality games...is that bad? No not in and of itself (though it IS a waste of time!) but what I WAS doing wrong was the fact I was doing it in secret. I knew I wasn't allowed to be doing that online. But I did it...for almost a year, without my parents ever knowing. I tried to tell myself it was fine, but inside I knew it wasn't. Around that same time is when I rededicated my life to the Lord, and not long after I began seriously feeling terrible for what I was doing. I was hiding something I knew was wrong. So one day I went in, closed all my accounts then went and told my mom what I had done. It was probably the hardest thing I had ever dome at that time. I felt so ashamed. But the relief and peace that swept over me after I told her was...amazing. My mom is wonderful. She was extremely loving and extremely gracious. I didn't even get in trouble! I was shocked. My mom just told me how thankful she was that I came and told her. I am SO glad I came out and confessed(and stopped doing it!).
Now playing virtual reality games online is a little different then what you post on fb and email, etc. But it's the same idea....then I was doing something I didn't want my parents to see me doing.


Are you hiding something? If your parents were sitting behind you while you were at the computer, would you try to avoid what your normally do or say online?

I am VERY happy to say that having my dad on my chat list is awesome(even if it does seem weird!).
And if my dad wanted to read my emails...I have nothing to hide there either.
I am so glad I learned at a younger age not to do things behind my parents backs.
I have nothing to hide.
I hope you can say the same.
Just something to think about...

Romans 13:1-7, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience."

1 comment:

  1. Like, like, like this post!

    So true!

    Besides, adding parents to your chat list is quite funny sometimes. ie:

    lol = laugh out loud, not lots of love
    =D is a sideways smiley face.

    *chuckles*

    I love my parents =D

    ReplyDelete