Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rising Above

     I like to go outside and talk to God. It's a nice place to get away from distraction and just be in God's creation (I think that's one of the reasons I love the outdoors so much). :)
     Today I was having my prayer time outside and I noticed a huge patch of thorn bushes, but it wasn't the thorns that caught my attention...it was one flower that was growing above the thorns. It was taller and definitely stood out.  Upon closer inspection (what can I say...I may be a tom-boy but that doesn't mean I don't have my girly quirks.;)) I found that there was more flowers...but these were harder to see. They were shorter then the thorns and blended in.
     This got me thinking...how often are we as Christians those flowers that are hidden? How often do we just "blend into the world"? We need to be that flower that stands out....that shines a light in a gnarled and twisted world.
Those Christian who isn't ashamed or afraid to speak of their faith in Christ.
Now I know it's easy to just say, "Oh yeah. I do that all the time. I make it very clear I'm a Christian and that I'm proud of my faith."
     I'm not really talking about that..most the Christians I know aren't ashamed of their faith at all. They speak it openly. I'm talking about more of proving that "you're just like them." type situations.
I know when I get around non-believers, though I'm open about my faith, I still might try to 'prove' I'm 'just like them'.
     Say you are around a group of non-believers and they start talking about an music artist. Now this artist is someone you have heard, but would not normally listen to (or shouldn't listen to) because their music isn't good. And you are able to pipe right into the conversation and talk about this song and how cool it sounds...just to show that you're not different.
     I've been trying to be more careful about this lately.
     We don't want to be the "Super odd conservative freaks."...but in truth. That's what we are! (No I'm not saying we're odd...you get my point right?). We ARE different from this world. And we should be proud to show it.
     It really makes me sad when I'm hanging around a group of both non-believers and believers and we're having a discussion about stuff of this world. And those who just moments ago profess to know Christ, are talking about how good this song is...when it's definitely not a God-honoring song or artist.
     How can we shine a light if we're just like the world?
     I want to be that lone flower in the midst of thorns.
     I want to be in the world.
     But not of it.
     I want to show that I AM different. I AM a child of God.
John 15:19, "If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you."

And that does mean we will get made fun of.
That's does mean people will call us weird or odd.
In fact, if sometime in your life you AREN'T made fun of for you faith...I would reconsider your actions.


...just some food for thought. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment