Sunday, January 27, 2013

For what reason?

     This last month I have learned a huge life lesson...about doing the 'right thing'.
     I usually don't have a problem with doing the 'right thing', even when it's hard. I know what's the right thing and, even if it takes some time and pain, I eventually do it.
     But doing the right thing isn't enough-I've failed big time on the main reason WHY we do the 'right thing'...to obey Christ, to do it with a heart to follow Christ. NOT just because it's the 'right thing'.
    If we do the 'right thing' merely because we have to do it and because we know it's what we're supposed to do...we may as well not do it at all!
     We aren't saved by our fruit and what we do. We are saved by our faith in Christ Jesus.
     Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
     We are to do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus. We are to do it from the heart. 
     The past few months I've made decisions that were the 'right thing' to do...but I didn't feel peace about them. I was frustrated and didn't understand. Hadn't I done the right thing? Why didn't I feel better about it?
     Because I only did it because I knew it was the right thing.
     I didn't do it with my heart FULLY trusting in Christ and desiring to glorify Him.
     Doing what's right isn't the hard part...it's our motive for doing it.
     What is your motive for each decision you make in life? Do you only make choices and changes because it's the 'right thing' to do? Or do you do it out of a desire to glorify and serve Christ from the heart?
     I for one need to be working a lot harder on making my motive for decisions the latter. What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment