Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Every Little Detail

     For school this week, my job is to basically build, from scratch, new cabinets for our kitchen. This requires measuring, sketching, erasing, measuring again, sketching, perfecting.  Repeat. If you mess up on just one measurement, the whole project won't work.  I could have taken 1 hour to do all the measurements and drawings, but then it would've been a sloppy job and likely wouldn't have turned out well. Instead, I took 4 hours, 6 pieces of grid paper, pencils, a ruler, one p&j sandwhich and a tape measure to make sure everything will work before I begin cutting the wood. It wasn't exactly the funnest 4 hours either, it got boring and long. But one wrong measurement could mean a lot. 
      I know this idea my seem a little far-fetched, but in building these cabinets I was reminded that every little detail in our life counts. How we act, respond and treat others. What we do or say, even when we are alone. 
     Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
     It doesn't say, "some of the things you do" it says, "whatever you do". Whatever you do, every little detail of what you do. Don't do it sloppy, do it as unto the Lord. 
     When we begin to forget the little details, to just let a 'few' things slip by, that isn't honoring to God...before we know it, it becomes a habit. It ruins the whole project, it turns us away from what God wants us to do. 
     As I said before, relating those two things together, maybe seem a bit far-fetched, but...usually that's just the way I think. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment